Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Third Place

I have been spending a lot of time working on various Commissions. I have 3 currently underway and several others I need to get started on. It is great to be busy. This is a progress shot of a commission that I am waiting for areas to dry before I can finish some final touches.
I have also made time for some painting from life. This is a painting done during a 2.5 hour pose painted with only Cadmium Red, Yellow Ochre, Ivory Black and White. I have been enjoying using this limited palette and it helped make the process of this painting much more simple than if I had 3 or 4 times as many colors to contend with. The photograph has a lot of glare, because the paint was so thick and so dark.


My Painting of my grandmother and my daughter titled "Arms of Experience" took third place at the Art Space Herndon 6th annual Portrait Competition show "Expressions" I wore my typical boots to the reception but I did buy a new dress to go with them. I realized that four generations were represented in this painting because two were in it, I painted it and my Father made the frame for me. It is made of beautiful black walnut.


No comments:

Post a Comment