Friday, September 13, 2013

The Importance of a good photo reference

It is incredibly difficult to paint well from a poor reference photo. There are several issues with the current reference I am working from. It was taken with a flash so the lighting is directly from the front and never looks quite natural. The large smile is adding extra wrinkling and shadows both around the nose and under the eyes. I am working to do the best I can but It will be decidedly more difficult than if I had a better reference to work from.

Today in the studio my cadmium yellow light escaped from my pallet. I can usually work with out getting any paint out of its designated areas, but today was not usual. I ended up with yellow on my everyday pair of jeans, my favorite nursing shirt and on my hands and forehead. I am hoping I have been able to remove all traces but I am worried I will find more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment